Be Your Pet's Personal Trainer
Most people are probably already aware that exercise is great for you−it gives you energy, makes your muscles work better and keeps your heart and lungs in shape. But did you know that it’s great for pets too? Animals need exercise to stay healthy just as much as humans do so why not become exercise buddies? Whether your pet is a dog, cat, gerbil or bird, they will love it when they’re included.
When you or your kids are out exercising with your pet, keep this in mind:
- When your pet is tugging on the leash think of the muscles you are working in your arms and legs while you hold them.
- If your pet enjoys going fast, try jogging beside them. This is great for heart and lungs.
- Play games like fetch using a Frisbee, ball or stick. This is great exercise and fun for everyone.
- If your pet is smaller, play hide and seek indoors or in the backyard. It will be sure to make everyone playing giggle.
- If the sidewalk is too hot for your pet's paws, try to find a big patch of grass, stay in the shade, or take a trip to a nearby river or lake and splash around together.
Don't forget to take breaks and make sure both you and your pet get lots of water to stay hydrated in the heat.
If you own a pet big or small, make yourself your pet’s personal trainer, and you’ll see how happy you’ll both be with some play and exercise!