Hiking in the summertime
Not only can hiking be an exhilarating activity, it also exercises your heart, lungs and muscles. Before you go, read these safety tips!
Getting fresh air, exercising and learning interesting things about wildlife are all great reasons for you and your family to take a hike! During the summer months there are fantastic opportunities to see nature. What kind of animal tracks do you see? Not only can hiking be an exhilarating activity it also exercises your heart, lungs and muscles.
Before you set off it is important to remember some hiking safety tips.
- Never hike alone – It’s safer and more fun with a partner.
- Plan ahead – use the internet or map to find the best trails in your area and to find more information about the trails you will be hiking.
- Bring lots of water and snacks – Stay hydrated and well nourished so you don’t become exhausted and weak.
- Wear the right gear. Depending on the weather, you might have to dress in layers. Always pack sunscreen too!
- Pack a first aid kit – this is important just in case someone accidently gets injured.
- Do not disturb the wildlife –remember, you are a guest in their home territory.
- Stay on the trail and watch your footing – watch for rocks and uneven surfaces.
- Leave the trail as you found it – do not litter with food wrappers or juice containers. Carry your garbage out of the park and put it in designated drop-off containers.
By observing these safety rules for hiking everyone will be able to have a wonderful experience that your entire body will love you for!