Tips for Playing Outdoors in Winter
Being active in winter is easy when you keep in mind how to dress for it. It’s important to layer up when sending your kids out to play. Also be sure to cover up their head, hands and neck.
Why all the layers?
- You’ll stay warmer overall!
- Wear mittens to keep your hands warm and dry – better to have warm hands than cold, better to have dry hands than wet
- It’s a good idea to wear 2 different pairs of socks – one to draw sweat away and the other to keep you warm.
- Wear a hat so you don’t lose body heat from your head, and to keep your ears warm.
- Put on a pair of ‘Long johns’. If your legs get too cold your muscles will tighten and may even cause a strain or sprain.
- Outdoor temperatures can go up and down – warmer in the sun and cooler in the shade. Make it easy to take a layer off and tie it around your waist – just put it back on when you get cold.